Besides the five 16 x 20 inch oil paintings displayed at the Ukazoo Art exhibit, there were four paintings in the 22 inch realm. Of two that were 22 x 22 inches, ‘A Walk in the Park’ was one of those paintings.
To the book project, spent the morning where I get my digital scanning done. Two fold. Getting some images adjusted in size to match others I have on the Kickstarter Story page. Second, working to get a fairly accurate quote for all the scanning and layouts to be done if the Kickstarter goal is met and the book proceeds to publishing. This needs to be worked in to other costs (Publishing and materials) to establish the total dollar goal needed.
With a raise in postal rates, another stop at the post office to finalize mailing/shipping cost to be added to Kickstarter Rewards section.
As ‘The Journey to Ukazoo’ project began to unfold, I chose a starting point of June 3, 2013 and with selecting Monday as a once a week posting day, it was 37 weeks till the Solo Exhibition. I laid out a U.S. map and started deciding on 37 stops that took me across the U.S. and back to Ukazoo Bookstore. First choices were cities/towns with unusual names as well as a few places I was familiar with. As I looked at routes and names of cities/towns I came across a few whose names fit art images I planned to use for this project. For the image posted above I happened to find a place in Washington State that seemed an appropriate match-‘Cape Disappointment’. In ’The Journey to Ukazoo’ this place, image, and story is #19.
As for the present Art Exhibit Book project and the ‘Frontmatter’ potion of the book. Facing the ‘Preface’ page will be a U.S. and lower Canada map (there is one stop in Canada) with a list of all the city/town stops and respective States. Online I found a blank U.S. map with only State abbreviations and opening a copy/pasted copy in ‘Paint’, entered in all the cities/towns. Next step was printing it out and draw in the travel route.
It is now being digitally scanned so I can transfer it to the PDF file ‘Map’ page in the book.
There is also additional scanning being done this week for rough drafts of border art and combining other art images for future ‘Journey’ posts.
As mentioned in the ‘Worksheet’ text last Monday, there was a fair amount of work to creating the layout. The painting posed similar issues, particularly the expanding shapes to the right side. The first attempt was not pleasing and was repainted, the posted worksheet reflected that second design attempt. Still not satisfied, several sections (closer to the upper and lower box) were repainted twice more till I found a configuration/placement I could live with. This painting also became a transitional piece in this project that effected the next four 12 + 12 paintings. More on that next Monday.
Next Monday, the start of the next Painting in the ‘12 + 12 Project’.
Besides the first attempt to work a complete painting with just the Birds on the leaves, I made several succeeding attempts combining the two selected ’Doodles’ from Deborah. I opted for developing this ’Worksheet’ layout. A very different layout configuration than I have done before, but I had to take in consideration that this was part of the creative equation of this project anyhow. We’ll see how this works as a painting.
For those new viewers to this 12 + 12, 12 x 12’s project, a short synopsis. 24 paintings total, all 12” x 12”s. Twelve of the 24 paintings are developed from ’Doodles’ selected by yours truly from my sketchbooks. The +12 portion of the project, is that I handed out my sketchbooks to 12 friends/artists I choose and they in turn selected a few ’Doodles’ that I had to develop a finished painting from.
So, here we go, posting the last six paintings in the 12 + 12, 12 x 12’s Project.
From the + 12 portion of this project, these ‘Doodles’ were selected by a good friend, Deborah. Doodle No. 1 posed a particular problem in trying to develop it as a main subject in a 12 x 12 inch painting. It wasn’t working. I then decided to include ’doodle no. 2’ (another selection by Deborah) into the equation, also rotating it 90 degrees to use it vertically rather than horizontally. The ‘birds’ now became more of a supporting role to the overall design as to be seen in the Worksheet.
Posted is the “Taking Flight” painting in progress.
Applying the first coats, or under-layers, is akin to the worksheet in many ways. As the worksheet progresses with numerous alterations (some changes continuing even as the painting is in progress), the changes to colors in the painting take much the same path. In this painting, the ‘Birds’ are red with green wings and, as much as I thought these colors would work, they seem to remind me more of Holly leaves and berries than shapes representing birds.
To the right of these ‘Birds’, the ‘Sail’, suggesting a sailboat, worked during this phase of the painting but as second and third coats of final colors were applied and modifications to other shapes took place the ‘sail’ became a heavy blank white area and I needed to go back to the worksheet to add and work out additional details that would strengthen the ‘sail’ and compliment the other shapes in the painting.
The finished painting post next Monday will reflect those changes.
The project will be posted in the following sequence, 1st Monday-the sketch/doodle or related source from whence the painting has originated.
The second Monday-the 12”x12” pencil ‘Worksheet’ showing the intended painting.
The third Monday-a ‘Progress’ post of the painting.